Adrenal Gland is separated into two parts:
- Cortex, which is further separated into:
- Zona glomerulosa produces mineralocorticoid aldosterone. This acts mainly on the distal renal tubules by stimulating the reabsorption of sodium by epithelial cells.
- Zona fasciculata produces glucocorticoids (cortisol). This increases blood sugar through gluconeogenesis and suppress the immune system.
- Zona reticularis produces androgens (dehydroepiandrosterone [DHEA] and androstenedione).
- Medulla, which contains chromaffin cells that produce epinephrine and norepinephrine.